Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Cock Rock

I had the weekend from hell this weekend. One giant fuck-up after another. But, since some of it relates to aviation, and I don't want to get my PIC in trouble with the FAA, I'll skip to what's still pissing me off.

I went and saw Electric Six this Friday. I didn't think it was going to be that big of deal: the only songs I had heard were just funny songs like "Dance Commander" and "Gay Bar".

But, I got my first suggestion that they weren't just a campy band when they got to the "gender specific" part of the show. For the "fellas" they said "We are only here because of you, we wouldn't sell any records, we wouldn't sell any tickets, we would be nothing" and then proceeded to sing "Delight Me" a song, as near as I can tell, about blow jobs. Then, they went "For the girls: thanks for coming" and sang "Infected Girls".

My second, much larger clue, was when they got to a break. Since it still doesn't make any sense to me, so I'm going to quote as well as I can remember:

" Now we, we have developed a conscious (no, that is not a typo) here at Electric Six. We are now a politcal band. In the back, we have a giant 40-cubic-yard microwave. And we're going to shove 20-30 women in this microwave, and we're going to send them 20 years into the future, and we're going to send them to Crawford. Where Bush will be clearing brush. Only he'll be in an iron lung. And you're going to ride him, and you're going to ride him in his iron lung. Then some of you will be impregnanted with the next Bush. And then you'll all be liquified and feed intraveneously to the living. And the guys will sign a petition".

Aside from being kinda "Huh?" I think it's pretty obviously sexist. That was when I decided that Electric Six would never get another penny from me.

This would have been bad enough, but the guys that I went to this with thought this joke was hilarious. One of them for the rest of the weekend kept saying "let's get into the microwave" which still makes my skin crawl. Now, it's depressing enough that a band that I used to enjoy listening to is composed of assholes, but to hear my friends just go along with it, even worse saying I'm "overreacting". My friends can be right idiots, yes, but I would assume they'd realize why jokes about my death would be slightly out of place. But the fact that they don't, and what's worse, they don't seem to care about hurting me, bothers me. It bothers me that this kind of casual sexism is perfectly peachy in their eyes.

1 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger Teddy said...

funny, they haven't gotten a penny from you yet.

TRH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home